Sunday 4 May 2014

Kota Kinabalu

‘Sometimes, life is about risking everything for a dream no one can see but you.’





First stop, Kota Kinabalu! As soon as you step off the plane, there’s a certain laid back atmosphere about this place. The heat lulls you to sleeps, but at the same time, the array of vivid colours, the pinks and oranges and purples streaked across the sky (also known as a sunset) make you pinch yourself to stay awake. Within five minutes we were at the hotel, fully unpacked and ready to swim. By then night had fallen, all the other hotel guests were dining, and the entire pool was ours! (skinny dipping did flit across my mind at that point) 


Swimming in the infinity pool heated up by the generous amount of sunshine during the day under a star lit sky was really an experience second to none. The sound of water lapping onto the poolside, the fragrance of the Rhododendron rugosum tree permeating the air, being able to swim through a waterfall under the bridge into flowers, flowers and more flowers. The free flowing champagne might have helped too.














































The next morning after sunrise yoga, we decided to venture out to the neighbouring Mamutik Island for some snorkeling, jet skiing and paddle boarding to work that breakfast off! Abundant hammocks were found under the palm trees on the beach, with deck chairs and towels laid out for you; and there were little street stalls with live bands and restaurants dotted around the island! You can get a two persons’ share of ‘char kuay teow’ for £1, it’s unbelievable! Naturally a lot of scoffing was involved.

I looked happier than a bird with a French Fry. I discovered paddle boarding was my calling, it immediately became my favourite watersport! My friend who apparently saw an enormous fish swimming underneath us told me to look, and what I saw was not a fish,  but my favourite sunglasses sinking to the bottom of the sea. If I ever meet you, please don't ask me for the time if I'm holding a hot drink. Or any drink with an open top.


In Asia, women tend to favour the fairer complexion. It is seen as a marker of wealth, that one has sufficient means to always have shelter and not have to work under the blazing sun. Albeit having grown up in England, I too prefer the pale and interesting concept. Sadly, we always want what we cannot have. I tanned like instant noodles. Anyway, we then left the island around five o’clock hoping to catch the sunset again!



Around half five the sky was pink, but as soon as six o’clock struck, orange took over!


On the third day, we decided to take it easy for the next couple of days and played ping pong, giant chess and badminton. To save our aching backs, we went to sunset yoga afterwards (which further precipitated mine, I have the flexibility of an eighty-year-old) and indulged in an aromatherapy massage in a Tibetan tent. In the evening, there were bonfire parties by the beach and travellers having a good time by the sea bar! We danced the night away, 'special' moves and all!

























After a week in Kota Kinabalu, I then jetted off to Hong Kong. It’s a great place to go on a short holiday, but settling down here might not be the best for me as I’m always looking for an adventure, but you can pretty much cover the city centre and beach sites within a week and transport is a bit of a nightmare! Having said that, the beach was what I really needed at this point, I can never get tired of the sound of waves lapping onto the seashore!



Love,
K

No comments:

Post a Comment